The Settlement is place of safety and creativity, where aspirations can be developed and realised.
In November 2015 The Settlement Hall will turn 90 years old!
It's the place where all of The Settlement's activities evolve from, where children play and learn, and where issues are raised and discussed in an environment of safety and understanding.
The table in the sun-filled 'Elders Room' downstairs where the kitchen is located is the same table representatives from various indigenous groups sat to discuss issues relating to housing, health and welfare in the 1960s and 1970s when the indigenous population came to prominence in the area.
Upstairs, a library was turned into a homework centre in 1967 when The Hall was set up "for black and white" in cooperation with the Foundation for Aboriginal Affairs.
The play area out the back has a trampoline and an arts room where children can paint work on craft projects.
In its early days The Hall was the venue for championship badminton tournaments and glamorous balls.
It was the first building bought by the Sydney University Women's Society in Edward Street in November 1925 for £1600, it officially opened in February 1926.
The Hall's most recent rennovation was completed in 2012 to create a functional and safe space for children from the neighbourhood to play and hang out. The commercial kitchen facilitates cooking classes and is where healthy meals are prepared for children during After School and Vacation Care Programs.
The Hall and other buildings in the street were almost sold during an ill-fated attempt by a group of people to gain control of the properties in 2004. A private member's bill was subsequently rushed through the NSW Parliament to prevent property being sold without the consent of members.
Today, The Hall is used by community groups to practice, play, perform and meet. If you would like to enquire about utilising The Hall, please email us here.